I love cotton sheets. 100% cotton is my jam! I had one set that I used and washed so much the fitted sheet fell apart. I was left with a sheet that had no mate. What was a girl to do? Make shit out of it!
I decided I would first make a nightie. I wanted a light, short nightie for the hot AZ summers. I picked a vintage reprint pattern from Simplicity, 8126 to be exact. It totally looks like a nightie so it’s not a far stretch.
I never made this pattern before but since I’m making something to sleep in, I wasn’t too worried if things didn’t turn out perfect. I did crop the shit out of these photos so no inappropriate tushy will be flashed!
The biggest pain in the behind was the elastic across the shoulder. It kept popping out of the stitching. I think I had to fix it at least three times before I knew it was finally secure.
I folded up a lot of the bottom to make a super short nightie. I really didn’t want to get all caught up in it as I tossed and turned in bed. I stitched a bit of decoration along the hem to help it lay flat. I also thought I could make little bloomers to match. Have yet to even think about planning those out.
This is so light and comfortable to sleep in. It’s exactly what I was hoping it would be. I still have quite a bit of sheet left so maybe the bloomers and possibly a robe are in my future.
This is the third time I’m posting this style top. It’s a McPatterns swing top. I’ve made it previously in black and orange. This one is in a checkered suiting from Fabric.com.
Since this is a me-made-pattern, I wrote the sewing instructions on one of the pattern pieces. I’m sure you’re thinking I lost them but I didn’t, I just didn’t read them correctly.
The whole thing turned out just fine but the straps on this one are almost twice the width of my originals. It doesn’t look bad but I’m annoyed it doesn’t match the others exactly. Just one of those things that no one but me will notice but drives you crazy. I can’t be the only sewist that has this issue right?
I made white cotton bias tape to hem the bottom curve. I love making my own bias tape. I believe I’ve only bought the stiff stuff from the store twice but that was way more than enough.
These tops have a nice length in the back. No worry about low-rise jeans or forgetting to put on a belt that day. No one will see your panty flash!
I end up wearing this one at work a lot. Funny enough, I also used this fabric to make a pillow that lives in my car. It’s my “I’m tired at work and I need a nap in my car” pillow. That’s it on this one. Until next time!
If you follow my Instagram (@jamie_l_mac), you’ve seen I’ve mentioned a place called Fabscrap (@fab_scrap). It boils down to them recycling leftover fabrics from different companies in New York. You can checkout out their mission statement and shop their fabrics on their website.
I purchased a “cool yard pack” about a month ago. I chose to start with a pale blue gauze I received first. I thought this was going to be the fabric I would have forever and not know what to make with it. I did some research on Pinterest, like ya do. I found a loose peplum top.
I pulled out an old favorite of mine, Sorbetto from Colette (btw I still use the original version of this. Not the new fancy one). I omitted the bust darts and cut the top only down to my waist. I also cut a straight line down from the underarm to keep the top loose.
The peplum is made from a rectangle of fabric that is sewn together in the back. I serged the top and peplum together and top stitched the seam allowance up. The hem is turned up twice for a clean edge.
I made baby blue bias tape to put around the neck and arms. I was worried about being able to see it too easily and end up an eyesore. It actually blended in really well.
I think I was overdue for a relaxed summer top. This really fit the bill. Since the fabric is so light I do need to wear a tank underneath. I’m sure there’s people out there cool with just a bra but the world does not need to see that!
To leave you on a happy note, my best “blue steel”, stylized of course.