Vintage

Cheeky Nights

I love cotton sheets. 100% cotton is my jam! I had one set that I used and washed so much the fitted sheet fell apart.  I was left with a sheet that had no mate.  What was a girl to do? Make shit out of it!

I decided I would first make a nightie. I wanted a light, short nightie for the hot AZ summers. I picked a vintage reprint pattern from Simplicity, 8126 to be exact. It totally looks like a nightie so it’s not a far stretch.

I never made this pattern before but since I’m making something to sleep in, I wasn’t too worried if things didn’t turn out perfect. I did crop the shit out of these photos so no inappropriate tushy will be flashed!

The biggest pain in the behind was the elastic across the shoulder. It kept popping out of the stitching. I think I had to fix it at least three times before I knew it was finally secure.

I folded up a lot of the bottom to make a super short nightie. I really didn’t want to get all caught up in it as I tossed and turned in bed. I stitched a bit of decoration along the hem to help it lay flat. I also thought I could make little bloomers to match. Have yet to even think about planning those out.

This is so light and comfortable to sleep in. It’s exactly what I was hoping it would be. I still have quite a bit of sheet left so maybe the bloomers and possibly a robe are in my future.

Sleep tight!

Advertisements

In a Jiffy

Disclaimer: I’m using a new photo editing software. If my pics are funny colors, I apologize. We’re still getting to know each other.

I know repeatedly I’ve said that I’m stash busting this year. My goal was to only buy fabric for the #sewmystyle projects.  I did so good until a few weeks ago. I needed denim for flares that are listed on my #2017makenine. I may have bought a bit of other fabric while I was at it.  One of those fabric was a blue sweater knit. I needed a plain blue top to go with a skirt I made a few years back. (unclogged and my first sew on my serger) I have a long sleeve sweater but it’s not appropriate for summer.

I decided to revisit a pattern that created a fail in a previous life. Simplicity 1364 which is a vintage Jiffy pattern. I did a lot of measuring before deciding on make a size 10 and grade to a 12. I really should have made an 8 and grade to a 10. That’s pretty typical for me. I’ll explain why in a bit.

SweaterSide

When they advertise “jiffy” damn do they mean it! It has a front, back and facing for the neck.  There are a couple darts on the front but other than that I used my serger for everything. When you can park in front of one machine, everything goes so fast! Granted there was some top stitching. Not sure if that was part of the instructions or not. I didn’t actually read them at all. When you have three whole pieces, are instructions really necessary? I believe not!

SweaterBack

As I mentioned, I cut a 10. I shouldn’t have. The knit is forgiving so I could afford to go smaller. And honestly, if I would have flashed back to my previous version, I would have remember that it’s huge on me. Oh well. I ran the top through the serger to shave off the sides a bit more. I also added a small band at the bottom. I didn’t want the bottom to continuously try to roll up which light weight knits tend to want to do. I cut a 3″ wide rectangle the length of the shirt’s bottom circumference. I folded that guy in a half and sergered it on. I did topstitch the sewn edge to the body of the top. I’m determined that there shall be no roll! After trying it on with my skirt, I could have left off the band and turned up some of the length. It does seem a little long.

SweaterMain

I think it turned out well. The neckline is a boat neck and I prefer a crew style but whatever. It works! It’s plain and looks cute with my skirt. Everything I was aiming for.

SweaterJeans

It also looks pretty good with jeans too.  I may need to make more of these.  Pieces that I can wear to work and still want to wear on the weekends are a must. That post went by in a Jiffy too.