I swore my next me-made was going to be some Jamie Jeans but I got distracted. I decided I would spend an afternoon cutting fabric. Usually that’s the most sucky, dreaded piece of sewing for me. I cut out all my pieces for my Jamie Jeans then I still had some cutting mojo so I grabbed one of my vintage reprint patterns, Simplicity 1692 to be exact, and cut a little more.
There’s very few pieces to this pattern. I had some left over floral chiffon (still stash bustin’) and figured I had just enough for this shirt. I picked to sew up version C. It’s has the tighter neckline with little sleeves. I fit a size 8 but since I have some hips I checked the width at the bottom of the shirt. I need the size 14 to actually fit there. Wholly crap! I decided to cut a size 8 from the armpits up and graded the sides out to a 14 heading towards the bottom. I also didn’t add the tucks at the bottom of the shirt for even extra room.
I didn’t start sewing it up until a few days later and I wondered how the top of the shirt opened up because there’s no way my head is fitting through that small hole. I realized there were buttons on the shoulders that come undone to pull the shirt on and off. I didn’t like that idea. I looked at the other pieces from the other views. The alternative was to split the back at the top a smidge and have a loop and button closure. Much better! 1 button is better than 6.
Here’s a closer look at that button a loop. Pretty proud of that little guy. Even had a button from the button jar that matched.
Cranked most of this floral lady out quite quickly. I tried it on before finishing the hem, sleeve edges and neckline. Uhh…this shirt is designed to be way short. I did not realize that. If it just hits the top of my waistband, that’s unacceptable. I thought about it over night and decided I would fold a piece of fabric in half and attach it to the bottom for insta-length. I also considered lace but then I would have to run to the store.
In the end, I think it worked out quite well. Immediately after putting on the finished product I thought “grandma”. It’s not something I would normally wear but I rather like it.
Oh also, totally can wear it backwards! Ha! Next time sewing thoughts are to add additional length to the bottom. I’m thinking 2 – 2 1/2″. The neckline is a little tight. Not where I’m choking but taking it down another 1/2″ would be much more comfortable. I may rock a grandma shirt but don’t expect blue hair anytime soon!