Stripes

Yikes, Stripes

Do you ever sit down to write a blog post (if you have a blog) and everything sounds horrible? Why would I start out with this? That’s not exciting or enough to capture someone’s attention. I’m having that moment right now. I’m going to keep typing and we’ll see if we find ourselves in the end.

I had leftover fabric (again) from another project I made. That other project was baby clothes. No, I’m not pregnant. (yuck!) The clothes were for a friend of mine. She’s a fellow cat lady and this is her second kiddo. It’s a girl and who wouldn’t like to make a mini sized dress? Mini stuff is so cool. Expect mini humans… yuck…

I guess we could talk about the baby clothes first. I mean, why not? I seem to be meandering through this post anyways. Let’s get sidetracked!

I found a few free patterns for baby stuff. I’m a little wary about free patterns because sometimes they are just a hot mess. I know nothing about babies so if it comes out the complete wrong size, I’m not going to know any better. Having said that, these patterns come from Brindille & Twig . I chose the Ringer Tee and the Bummies. Which I don’t like that name “bummies”. What does that even mean? I called them scootie pants. I’m not even sure if that’s any better… So my thought was to take the ringer tee and expand it to look more like a dress. Pretty much like making an a-line skirt.

The shirt was easy.  I extended and expanded like I planned. I even cut a little strip to add at the bottom for a ruffle.  Also, quick planning on my part. If this kid comes out a boy, that’s okay because we’ll just chop off the bottom.  None the wiser, ya know?

The scootie pants, I made as is. You need something to cover the diaper right? I don’t know… I just assume you wouldn’t want to see that. Wait I lied. I didn’t make them “as is” because there’s a little drawstring.  I didn’t add that. These are so small that I can’t imagine needing to strangle the baby’s mid-section with a drawstring.  I know I don’t like that tight, chubby feeling.  I’m sure it’s the same for babies.

Okay, now onto the real reason I was writing this post. I made a shirt for me. The fabric I bought for the baby stuff was so cute that I couldn’t pass up making myself something from it too. Let me tell you, that I really squeaked this one out. Btw, fabric came for Joann Fabrics and yes, I had a coupon.

The pattern is the Briar Tee from Megan Nielsen Patterns. The thing I do not like about this pattern is the super low scoop neck. I feel that it flops all over the place and it pisses me off. I bend over and lookie! There’s my bra. No, just no. Needless to say, I always change the neckline of this pattern when I use it.

I think I was still vibing off the baby ringer dress that I ended up making myself a ringer-tee too. I do love ringers though so it’s not super big surprise that’s where my brain went. I made the bands for the arms a little smaller than the width of the fabric and it gave it a little bit of poof. Not intended, but I’m not mad at it.

There really isn’t much more to say than KITTIES!!!

To finish off a post about kitties, here’s one of mine: Freckles aka Fluffy Tail.

Advertisements

Patches

I mentioned Fab Scrap in a previous post and I’m mentioning them here again! I love what they are doing. Taking fabric that would normally end up in the landfill and providing it for me and you for purchase.

I bought a cool yard pack awhile ago and there was an awesome striped fabric in there. I’ve been seeing a bib dress all over Pinterest and that striped fabric would be perfect. When I unfolded the fabric to see how much was there, I realized the fabric wasn’t just striped. It was more of a patchwork kind of pattern. Oops! Never make plans until you thoroughly check your fabric! I was still adamant about doing the bib dress. There was plenty of large squares of design that I could work with.

I cut the squares of fabric apart and started laying them out to try to figure out what could be the bib, skirt, sleeves and where I was missing fabric. I had navy yardage also from Fab Scrap that would match well with the patchwork. I used it to fill in any holes.

Pretty much the dress equates to three rectangles; two for each sleeve and one for the body. From this pic, you can see the one for the sleeve. You can also spy where I added in the navy fabric.

The back bib is made from two pieces that had diagonal lines that I so carefully matched together. This mirrored the front piece and I was so chuffed at how well I got it to line up.

You can see the dress is not fitted. It’s loose and so comfortable. I did add elastic on the sides to take in a bit of the girth. The elastic is only in the area where the pattern is. It was an easy way to ensure I got the same gathering on both sides.

So the dress didn’t turn out like my original plan, but I think we got to a happy place. I end up wearing it, if not once a week, every other week. I think it’ll look awesome with boots!