Coat

Coat Me

I’m going to come right out and say it, I MADE A COAT!

This has probably been over a year in planning. I couldn’t find the right fabric for the longest time. I knew I wanted a brocade but everyone I looked at never spoke to me. Thankfully I follow FabScrap on Instagram. Every so often they have these flash sales and advertise some thing they have on their site for sale. That’s when I found the most beautiful brocade. It’s floral and is just a sea of beauty.

I already knew what coat pattern I was going to use. During my first round of #sewmystyle, the coat that was included was the Yona Wrap Coat by Named Patterns. It’s shown as a wrap coat but has an option for 3 buttons. I was going for the buttoned version. I was concerned about the straight sides of the coat. I have a butt and it needs roam to breathe.

I did make a muslin of this coat as is. I was completely right! The coat and my butt did not get along. I decided to flare out the bottom to make more of an A-line style coat. I added 3″ to the bottom of the sides of the front and back pieces. It gives it enough room to make me super happy.

Putting the outside together wasn’t too bad until I got to the collar in front facings. I didn’t really understand the direction very well. The thing about Named is that their instructions do not have a lot of pictures or written instructions. They’re not made for beginners. I sat and pinned for a while until I felt confident to sew it in place.

I changed up the pockets. They are supposed to be patch pockets. That was not classy enough for me. I wanted welt pockets. I’ve done double welts before so a single welt pocket was super easy! They look fab!

I was in no hurry to complete my coat. Especially since this was my first one. I went to JoAnn’s to check out their linings. Unfortunately they did not a have fun purple that I was shooting for. I did find the type of fabric I wanted. A 100% Rayon that has a bit of slip to it so I can easily get the coat on and off without it wanting to grab my clothes. I searched online and found what I needed! Stone Mountain Fabric had Bemberg lining which is the same stuff as JoAnn’s but with all the color ways!

I decided I wanted to make bound button holes. Never completed them before and didn’t practice! I went ahead, fearlessly, and hacked at my coat. They didn’t turn out perfect but damn am I still happy with them. I knew I wanted metal buttons and they look classy!

I bagged the lining of the jacket. My first time out for that too. It turned out so pretty! Way easier than it looks so I totally recommend it to anyone thinking about completing a coat. Stitching the hole in the lining was the last task before a final pressing.

LOOK AT IT! It’s so springy and happy. The jacket has 3 buttons but I really only use the top button. It makes it easy for the coat to open when I sit and it makes the front flap open to see the pretty lining.