I’m well on my way to working through my 2017 make nine. I completed pajamas, Jamie Jeans (even though they sucked), Simone dress and now one of my favorite patterns, B5526. That makes 4 out of 9 and with it being early March, I shouldn’t be scrambling to finish my list on December 31. I’m feeling optimistic people!
I completed my Jack of All Trades shirt last year and I wear it so often. It’s easy to wear with jeans and it’s a quick go to. I knew I wanted to make another and I had bought an gradient cotton from Fabric.com that I was planning on using for one of my other favorite tops, a Sorbetto. For whatever reason, I changed my mind on its use. The fabric has a gradient of pink to almost a bluish purple. I figured it would look best if the gradient went from top to bottom compared to left and right.
I had 1 yard to work with, which would be just fine for a Sorbetto but not B5526. I sat with the fabric and two pattern pieces for quite sometime. I turned the fabric and patterns this way and that. The fabric wasn’t big enough. I needed a new plan. If I cut the pieces without the proper width at the sides, I should have enough to squeak out panels to add to the sides. This also leaves enough for the collar and front placket. No little sleeves though but that’s okay.
Ideally, I wanted the placket to blend in on the front but with the minimal fabric, that wasn’t an option. I was worried that since I was going to have a dark placket it was going to look like a pieced together turd of a shirt. I forged on anyways. If it looks bad, it will still be comfortable and it can be a weekend top. I picked a dark piece for the collar too. I was hoping if both pieces matched it would look intentional on the bright pink. I did have an oopsy with the placket. I followed the same instructions (IndieSew) I did on the Jack shirt. Somehow my placket was not straight across at the bottom. It was more of a 45 degree angle. I did fix it but now I have a bit of a puckering, bubble type deal going on. It’s not super terrible so if I can ignore it, I believer the rest of the world can too. I added a little snap to the placket to keep the ladies from trying to put on a show. You may ask why I just don’t make a shorter placket. Well, I think I have a big head or something because I need that snap undone to pop this guy on.
I tried to use the same tone for both the panels on the sides so they matched. They ended up being 3 1/2″ wide by about 17 1/2″. I stitched them in place and added a bit of top-stitching to keep everything flush inside the shirt.
I recently purchased a Clover Bias Tape Maker. Oh man! I don’t know how I had the patience to make my own bias tape prior to having this little gadget. I’m in love. The gadget + continuous bias tape making tutorial (Collete) makes me all kinds of giddy. I did make the bias tape purple. It does not match the purple on the shirt but in my heart they go together. I used it around the arms and at the bottom of the shirt. I had one arm done and popped on the shirt to make sure everything was sitting fine.
The arm hole was a bit big. You could see my bra under my arm and the straps at the back. Well shit… Clever girl that I am, I added a bust dart. I didn’t need it for shaping but it did take 1 1/4″ off the arm. It worked like a charm. Always making it work!
I think it turned out pretty decent. The dark collar and placket were totally not a big deal. I don’t normally do sleeveless shirts like this style but I think it works. I need to lift weights a bit more so I have something a little more worthy to have lost my sleeves for.