Gallifrey Sleeps

I came across some amazing Doctor Who fabric last year. It was stretchy and softly lined and like a doofus I passed on it. Totally not looking for new fabric at the moment and wanting to finish something I was working on so new projects be damned. I later regretted it. (Obviously!) I was determined to find it again and make it mine. While waiting in line to have other fabric cut at Jo-Ann’s and I saw someone with Zelda fabric. It struck me, “oh yeah, Doctor Who fabric!” (Not sure how you make a line from Zelda to Doctor Who but in my head it happens) I trotted over and there it was. I bought all they had! I wanted to make mix and match pajamas. The fabric is spandex that’s fleece lined. So soft against the skin. Does anyone remember the old 80’s kid pajamas that had the wide rib knit at the cuffs? That’s what I’m shooting for.


The best thing for me to start out with was the long bottoms. They’ll take the highest amount of my fabric. I used the pattern I made for my workout capris. I needed to add a bit of length because they’re pajama pants not pajama *almost* pants. Plus I’m a big kid now, no more high waters!


I only needed to add a couple inches to the legs because I’m using a rib knit at the bottom.  So perfectly paired together.


I also added 3″ to the top of the waist so I could turn it over a bit of elastic for the waistband. I used my serger for the insides and twin needle for all my top stitching. No need for neat edging inside because this stuff doesn’t unravel.


Next I decided to make the long sleeved top using Sew House Seven’s Toaster Sweater number 2 even though the picture has a piece from 1. I went down one size so a small this time. I wanted the top to be comfy but not so floaty.


I made the neck crew style just like my floral one. I went with the regular sleeves rather than the raglan sleeves I had before but shortened them because of the wide ribbed cuff I planned on using. I left off the split at the hem. I turned up the bottom 3/4″ and finished it with a twin needle. I also used the twin needle on the neckline and cuffs.


I went to the tank top next because of I was still trying to ensure I had enough fabric for all four pieces. If you know me or my blog, you’ll know my favorite tank top is the Sorbetto by Collette. I lengthened the top by a few inches and left off the bust dart. No need for shaping in comfy land!


I used the rib knit again. This time on the neck and arm holes. I really like this way of finishing off a Sorbetto.  Might have to try this again. Btw, that is my 7th Sorbetto. The finished band is 1″ wide. I took 2 1/2″ strip, folded it in half and stitched it on with a 1/4″ seam allowance.


Last item on my pajama set, is a pair of shorts. Again I used my workout capri pattern. At this point, I didn’t have much fabric left. I would have the length easy but not the width.  I folded my pattern piece and I worked out enough of the middle to make them thin enough to fit on my fabric. These are going to be tiny but the fabric is stretchy so I’m going with it!


I added rib to the waist and the legs. After they were complete I thought they looked like boxers but that’s okay. The Tardis looks a bit bigger on this piece than the other three because it needed to engage it’s stretchiness to fit my behind.


My total for this project is two tops and two bottoms. That gives me plenty of options for all weather. Four pieces and four different looks. I’m a happy Tardis wearing girl!


Oh, and I’m also a dork! Yay!

Advertisements

7 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s