Rayon, the soft, super drapey fabric that for some reason I can’t resist. I can find you blindly in the large remnant bin at Jo-Ann’s. “Oh, this fabric feels nice”. Guess what it is? Rayon. Will I buy it? Yup. Even if it has giant man-eating flowers all over it? Yup! I didn’t even like the floral pattern on this fabric but it was enough to squeeze out a shirt and I paid just over a dollar for it. That’s reason enough to buy it. Did I mention it was rayon and I might slightly have a fetish for it? One pattern I’ve been meaning to get back to was Simone by Victory Patterns. I’ve made it twice now. The first time the bust was a bit tight and the second the armholes were a bit stretchy but that was my own fault in my choice of fabric for bias tape.
The more I looked at my bit of fabric, the more I thought I could squeeze out a dress if I added a plain chunk of another fabric at the bottom for length. I rummaged through my odds and ends I have hidden in a basket. I found yellow piping. There was quite a length of it so I thought I would give it a go and add it to my dress. The pattern gives an option of this adornment so even though it was my first time using piping I had instructions to guide me through.
I find the bib the most difficult part of this pattern. The little tab, the amount of pleats and the pivot point at the bottom are my painful spots. I started with the back pieces first. *insert big goofy grin here* I added the bit of piping on the main back piece. I used my zipper foot to attach it. The stitching was not close enough to the piping so I had to move the needle over a smidge and do it again. That was the only issue. Dude piping is easy! *new sewing technique unlocked* If you ever compare my version of Simone to the pattern, I do make the center wider. I want to make sure my bra is covered.
Actually, the hardest part was sewing in the small pleats that line the bottom of the bib. Rayon is shifty. When I stitched in a few of the pleats they went at a diagonal instead of north and south. I pulled them out and judged based on its neighboring pleats how it should go back in.
When I cut the pieces, I didn’t realize the fabric wasn’t perfectly lined up so the bottom was all kinds of crazy. Trying to even it up on the floor was not easy! I think this is one of those times I wish I had a dress form. I didn’t have a lot of the black fabric left. I used it on my last Simone too. I was able to squeeze out a band of just over 3″. I wanted to use the piping again and I knew I didn’t have enough. I had to make about 8″ worth. I have yellow bias tape just a shade or two off. If I center it on the back, no one should notice. I do not have the proper cording for the guts, so I used four strands of what cording I do have and twisted it while I sewed it into the tape. The join between the two pieces doesn’t look the best up close but from a normal distance it isn’t noticeable. I can’t even find it in the pic above!
You’ll notice the bottom of the dress has a bit of volume. The black fabric is not as light and floaty as the rayon. It’s ok with me because it is symmetrical on the sides. It gives it nice movement when I swish around. On a side note, when I originally tried my dress on, I couldn’t figure out what was wrong and why my arm holes were so big. I forgot to put in the bust darts. I’m a dork.
I feel the dress turned out a little mod. It’s a smidge short but not uncomfortably so. The yellow piping was a nice pop of color.
This dress helps complete one of my #2017makenine. 8 more squares to complete!