Jack of All Trades

My sewing mojo has been on the fritz lately. I tried making a chiffon skirt, which I’ve made before, and it didn’t turn out well. There will be plenty of ripping, a dash of cussing and finally a glorious skirt will appear at some point.

So what have I been working on? I decided to go with a fail safe to work my confidence back up.  A TNT pattern if you will (Tried N True). Let’s take a step back. Have you ever found yourself envious of someone else’s make? I found myself in those green shoes (Get it? Green with envy? I’m hilarious people!) During Me Made May 16, I saw this little beauty from SewaStraightLine. I thought I could make a version of it but popover style.  I picked up a cotton sateen from Jo-Ann’s designed by the lovely Gertie.

Now is the time for that TNT pattern.  My fav pattern B5526.  I picked version A. I knew I was going to leave off the sleeves and use the collar stand only. Now each version of this pattern has a full button down placket. The easiest thing to do was to figure out the width of the finished placket and add that width to the front bodice piece that is cut on the fold. To make the baby sleeves I extended out the shoulder width by about 3″. The last adjustment that I made was to taper the bodice from the waist to the bust.


For my first partial placket, I relied on the instructions from Indie Sew and their easy placket tutorial. I made my placket 9 1/2″ long.  I think the interfacing that I used may have been a little too stiff because my placket has no give.  I’m hoping this will be fixed by a few good beatings in the washing machine. I felt like being a bit lazy and not adding buttons to my placket. Since it’s short, I figured it wasn’t necessary.


The collar didn’t take me long to add. Not having the actual collar and only the stand really only takes half the time.  Yippee!  There was quite a bit of the neck that needed to be eased into the stand.  I think my placket may have been a bit too wide thus creating more fabric to work in.


I made bias tape to edge the arms from random black fabric I had. I did have to make an adjustment to make sure they fit my massive biceps. I had to drop the arm hole by 5/8″. The bias tape also helped to drop the arm hole a bit more. After trying the shirt on, The arm holes worked fine and if I dropped them anymore my bra would be on display.


I’ve also been working on a pressie for the bestie.


I decided I wanted to design her a tank top. She works as a seamstress and a sewing shirt is pefect for her. I went with a classic tattoo style with a vintage sewing machine. Throw in a few banners and roses and ta-da!


The second item is a little sewing kit. I had a cute little round tin that needed a second life.  I used modge podge which is my second go round with this sticky weird stuff.  I used fabric to cover the lid and bottom portion. I bought a crazy little sewing kit for the tin’s guts. I had little strips of faux leather I was going to put around the edge of the lid and the bottom of the base.  I hated it.  I ripped it off and luckily found a few things in my stash that would work.  I used lace on the base to cover up the sides a bit more.  They were lumpy.  I had a strip of pre-made store bought bias tape that I used around the lid which may have also been lumpy.


I lined the inside with felt and made a little pin cushion on the under side of the lid.  There’s plenty of room on the inside for her to add her own bits and bobbins. Let’s just hope she likes it!

Side Note: I just bought a new sewing machine so hopefully things will be flying out of my sewing room and onto the blog.  New toys to play with are the best.

Advertisements

6 comments

  1. Your shirt came out great and I love the tweaks you made! I love the Mandarin collar look. 🙂 I have my same Gertie fabric cut out and ready to sew. We’ll see how long it takes me to get to it as I need to have another project completed soon.

    I’m glad you’re getting your sewjo back! It’s nice going to a TNT after a difficult time. I made another McCall’s shirt dress and thought making a simple pleated skirt afterwards would be “easy.” Well, between fitting issues and spazzing out with how the pleats went, it wasn’t as relaxing as I thought. But I finished! And it came out great after some extra work and attention. I should probably stick with another Moneta as my “relax” project, LOL!

    1. I can’t wait to see what you used the fabric for. When you mentioned before that you had the same fabric, I was wondering when you would be using it. So color me curious!
      A shirt dress? Pleated skirt? You’ve been busy! I do have fabric cut out for Jamie Jeans but it’s so hot for jeans so I may still put those off. lol I’m thinking a few more tops. I’m sure I’ve got enough fabric for that.

      1. Haha I have such a backlog of things to post about/photograph that it might be around fall when I get to my Gertie top! 😉

        I hear ya on the jeans thing. I was in PHX for a day last weekend and I almost passed out from heat stroke! (Not really, but felt like it). Tucson is a little cooler (yay trees!) so I don’t know how you Phoenix people deal with a full summer!

        Tops are always good but I can’t wait to see another pair of Jamie Jeans from you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s