Scrappy Cat Bed

Last Saturday, I think Hubby and I lost our minds. We stopped into the pet store to pick up just a few items. Long story short we’ve adopted two little orange tiger kittens. What makes this so bonkers is that we have two cats already at home. We are officially out-numbered!

The twins have a hand-me-down sleepy cube from the big cats. The bad thing about the cube is that it’s way to light and the twins love to play in it. The cube starts under the computer desk and migrates around the computer room. I’m a bit of a spazz and them moving it from the original designated spot drives me crazy! So I decided to make them one with a heavy base so it won’t travel all around the room. Like all my best ideas it came to me in the wee hours of the morning.

I have some left over MDF from a few other projects so it would be the perfect weight. I also have so much fabric in my stash that using some for a project such as this is probably a good way to cut it down. I chose to use corduroy for the outside (my fav fabric) and chevron broadcloth for the inside. The bottom piece is 15″ x 15″ which is just an inch bigger than their current cube. It’s height is 15″ too.

Here’s all the fabric pieces. The side pieces are rounded triangles for a tent look. The two front pieces have a triangle opening. I was getting down to the nitty gritty with the chevron fabric and that’s why the front section has a backwards piece. No one except the twins will notice it and I’m sure they won’t tell.

IMG_0245.JPG
I sewed up all four sides for both the inside and outside. You can really see that glaring piece that’s wrong. Just ignore it! I know it’s difficult but work with me. It’s like the mole from Austin Powers! MOLE!! 😆
Anyways…You can see the tent shape start to form in both of these pics.

IMG_0248.JPG
I used a different color of corduroy on each side because I didn’t have enough for all four sides and it looks way more fun multi-colored. A little circus tent like. Cue the music!

IMG_0247.JPG
To start to bring the ins and outs together, I sewed the front entrance together. I put the wrong sides together and top-stitched around the entrance. Then stitched in the ditch along the seams. It looks pretty sad. I sat it on my iron so you could see the shape.

IMG_0254.JPG
I stuffed all the sides. The stuffing gave the tent shape and a bit of structure. I sewed all the sides about 1 3/4″ from the bottom to keep the stuffing in place. That extra fabric is going to wrap around the MDF and get stapled to the bottom. I also sewed up two squares to make the bed part and stuffed it as well.

IMG_0255.JPG
This is the bed stapled into place. It’s quite squishy. By the way, totally Hubby’s arm. Mine didn’t turn mannish. At least, not that I’m aware of.

IMG_0258.JPG
After stapling the bed on the sides of the MDF it’s time to staple the tent onto the bottom. Having one stapled in the sides and the other stapled on the bottom helped from having staples collide.

IMG_0260.JPG
Last thing to do was cover up all the staples with the last square of fabric. I used Aileen’s Tacky Glue to fasten it to the bottom.

IMG_0270.JPG
This is the final product. Not too bad for a “wake you up from a dead sleep” kind of inspiration.

IMG_0267.JPG
Lastly, a couple pics of the twins. Trying to get their picture is ridiculous because they never hold still! So the first is Frankie about to chew on the bed. But that’s okay because the whole thing is squishy except the base.

IMG_0271.JPG
The second is Felix whose on his way out of the bed. Neither in the posing mood I guess.

IMG_0274.JPG

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s